On two occasions Tuesday, about one-half of the start-ups participating in the “Techstars Industries of the Future Accelerator” had the opportunity to pitch their companies to existing and prospective angel investors in the region. One was a lunch event, the other an early evening session in conjunction with a regular meeting of local angels.
Both sessions were organized by the Sheltowee Angel Network and the Knoxville Chamber. Eric Dobson, Managing Partner at Sheltowee, said about 30 people attended the noon event, and the Knoxville Entrepreneur Center was largely filled for the evening session as evidenced in this photo.
Those pitching Tuesday night were:
- Skintelligent that is developing artificial intelligence (AI) skin analysis solutions to power the future of skin health. Eleanor Jones (pictured here) is the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and Brian Keating is Head of Deep Learning.
- Spiky AI is yet another AI-based offering, in this case an online meeting enhancement platform. We will have a teknovation.biz spotlight article on that company next week.
- FLUIX Inc. is unlocking the full power of high performance computing by eliminating the challenge of heat through a process called Turbulent Liquid Cooling.
- Modicus Prime is focused on bringing “self-service AI” to the life sciences for comprehensive R&D and commercial product quality.
- Be Global Safety is also an AI-powered company that has developed software to detect and prevent workplace safety incidents and near-misses in real-time. We spotlighted the Nilay Parikh (pictured here), Founder and CEO, in this recent teknovation.biz article.
The participants in Cohort 1 of the Techstars accelerator wrap-up their time in the Knoxville-Oak Ridge region with a “Demo Day” next Thursday (May 26). Doors for the event at the Student Union on the University of Tennessee’s (UT) Knoxville campus open at 5 p.m., and the program begins at 5:30 p.m. The public is invited to attend. To register, click here.