ORNL well-represented at recent Consumer Electronics Show
The delegation included the Deputy for Science and Technology, Director of Technology Transfer, and three current or former members of the "Innovation Crossroads" program.
Representatives of Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and several of the companies currently participating in or alumni of the “Innovation Crossroads” (IC) program were in attendance at the recent Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. The ORNL delegation was among more than 130,000 people who visited the show, which featured 4,000 exhibitors.
- Susan Hubbard, Deputy for Science and Technology at ORNL, and Vanessa Chan, Director of the Office of Technology Transitions and Chief Commercialization Officer at the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), discussed a range of topics in a fireside chat.
- Researcher Veda Galigekere, from ORNL’s Electric Drives Research group, presented on his work in wireless power transfer.
- IC alums Don DeRosa of Eonix and Rajan Kumar of Ateios Systems pitched their companies’ technologies as part of a mini-showcase of DOE’s Lab-Embedded Entrepreneurship Program. In separate events hosted by Extreme Tech Challenge, IC current 2023 cohort member EarthEn competed in the “Deep Tech Climate Innovations Challenge” pitch competition, with start-up’s Co-Founder Karthi Chakaravarty taking home the top prize.
- Safire Group has licensed an ORNL technology, and John Lee, the company’s Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, joined Nader Shokair, Director of Engineering, for a demonstration of the company’s technology.
- Other ORNL attendees included Jennifer Caldwell, Director of Technology Transfer; Eugene Cochran, Technology Commercialization Group Lead; and Karen Dunlap, Partnerships Communications Coordinator.