ORNL’s Spark! set for December 4
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and Tech 20/20’s Center for Entrepreneurial Growth will host the third annual Spark! Technology Forum from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. December 4 at the lab.
The event brings together entrepreneurs, scientists, and technology transfer experts to explore opportunities around the lab’s most promising new technologies.
“You have to have technology, leadership and funding to launch a company, and that’s the purpose of Spark! – bring them together and see companies started,” said Mike Paulus, ORNL’s Director of Technology Transfer.
The 2012 technologies are divided into three categories – advanced transportation, information and knowledge management, and the catch-all category of “Innovative Technologies for Disruptive Products.” The program features market-focused pitches for each technology and Q&A sessions with the inventors and technology transfer experts.
The advanced transportation category includes four technologies:
- Water recovery from gasoline exhaust for significantly improved fuel efficiency.
- Conversion of ethanol to a direct gasoline replacement
- Low-cost carbon fiber from renewable sources for vehicle weight reduction
- Safer, higher power density battery technologies
The information and knowledge management category includes:
- Advanced credentialing for trusted networks
- Novel content recommendation solution for technical information consumers
The final, catch-all group includes:
- Self-cleaning prosthetic skin
- 3D digital holographic microscopy
- Remotely activated cardiac valve implant
- New magnetic filtration process
The meeting is free of charge and open to the public, but registration is required, space is limited, and the deadline is November 21. For more information, contact Mike Paulus at firstname.lastname@example.org.