If you are in the innovation and technology sector, the State Science and Technology Institute reports in this week’s SSTI Digest that there’s a great deal to like in the recently passed “Infrastructure and Investment Jobs Act.”
Technology and innovation highlights from the bill include the following:
- $65 billion for a variety of broadband deployment initiatives, as well as funding and policies to improve affordability.
- $150 million for a “Future of Industry” program that features higher education-based centers to support manufacturers’ plans for green improvements, plus $400 million to help implement these projects.
- Reauthorization for the Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) in the Department of Commerce, including support for MBDA Rural Business Centers, robust entrepreneurship education, and existing initiatives.
- Investments that are intended to increase demand for electric vehicles, including funding for a network of electric vehicle charging stations, electric buses, and electric ferries.
- Cybersecurity investments in energy and water sectors, and incentives for utilities to make their own cybersecurity investments.
- A new interagency working group that will study the workforce needs of the telecommunications industry.
SSTI also called readers attention to a summary prepared by the American Institute of Physics that detailed more than $30 billion in new R&D initiatives.