Judges, date announced for 2023 Ballard Innovation Award pitch contest
Five judges will pick a $50,000 grand prize winner among East Tennessee start-up finalists March 21.
The annual award from PYA, established in 2021, allows emerging companies to compete for a $50,000 investment of capital and in-kind services to support their innovative ideas. The award is the largest combination of cash and in-kind services available to start-ups in Eastern Tennessee’s 33 counties.
For the first time this year, finalists will participate in a live pitch competition in front of a panel of five judges. This event will be at 3 p.m. at the UT Research Park at Cherokee Farm, 2641 Osprey Vista Way. It’s free and open to the public, with a reception to follow.
The five accomplished judges from around our region are:
- Joan Bienvenue, Executive Director and Vice Provost of the University of Tennessee-Oak Ridge Innovation Institute;
- Gabe Bolus, President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of KUB;
- Kathryn Eggleston, Vice President of H.T. Hackney;
- Tanika Harper, Founder and CEO of The Shora Foundation; and
- Raj Patel, Director of Atlas Physical Therapy.
Applications are live now and will be accepted through February 24, 2023. For more details about the award, click here.