It’s exactly two weeks until the East Tennessee Economic Council (ETEC) hosts its fourth in-person “Nuclear Opportunities Conference” (NOW) at the Y-12 National Security Complex’s New Hope Center in Oak Ridge.
The day-long conference will focus on supply, technical, production, and workforce-related opportunities in the nuclear industry. Registration is open and available until July 28.
“With the recent advanced nuclear announcements by the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), Kairos Power, TRISO-X, and Ultra Safe Nuclear Corporation, the Oak Ridge Corridor is leading the way in supporting nuclear innovation,” states Tracy Boatner, ETEC President. “Thanks to UCOR’s legacy cleanup efforts, combined with proximity to world-class facilities like Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Y-12 National Security Complex, in addition to regional workforce development initiatives, NOW is the time to explore nuclear opportunities in East Tennessee.”
The agenda features discussions on the opportunities and issues around:
- “Advanced Reactors: Lessons Learned in the Early Days of Advanced Reactors”;
- “Nuclear Fuels: Nuclear Fuel Demand and Development”;
- “Radioisotopes: Impact and Processes of Radioisotope Production”;
- “Nuclear Workforce: Workforce Initiatives and Opportunities Available to the Nuclear Industry in East Tennessee”; and
- “TVA’s New Nuclear Program and Plans for the Clinch River Project>”
Keynote presentations will be given by Aleshia Duncan, U.S. Dept. of Energy’s Deputy Assistant Secretary for International Nuclear Energy Policy and Cooperation; and Greg Boerschig, Vice President of the Clinch River Project for TVA.
Panel speakers include representatives from Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Y-12 National Security Complex, TerraPower, SHINE Medical Technologies, NorthStar, Centrus, TRISO-X, BWXT, GE-Hitachi, United Cleanup Oak Ridge, Oak Ridge Associated Universities, and the University of Tennessee.