News & Notes | Investments, promotions, awards and opportunities
Let Her Speak's annual ""Women's Summit" sells out in two hours; waitlist now available.
- Catherine Porth and the team at Let Her Speak sold out this year’s “Women’s Summit” in just two hours and have now opened a waitlist if tickets become available. The event, which is billed as “story-sharing gathering to celebrate and empower women to feel seen, heard, and valued,” begins with a reception on the evening of March 29 and continues through early afternoon on March 30. To join the waitlist, click here.
- Through its Veteran Fund I, Veteran Ventures Capital has announced an investment into Asylon Robotics, Inc., the fastest growing, full-service, automated air and ground security robotics company in the U.S. Based in Norristown, PA, Asylon leverages the capabilities of drones, robots, software, and artificial intelligence (AI) to provide 24/7 robotic security operations. “We are extremely pleased to partner with Asylon as they lead the frontier of security automation for government and private sector customers,” said Derren Burrell, Founder and Managing Partner at Veteran Ventures. Click here to read the full news release.
- RDI Technologies, a global leader in motion amplification vibration analysis solutions, is bringing that technology to Boston Dynamics’ mobile robot, Spot. The new camera-based solution, Iris Explorer Payload for Spot, will combine the mobility and automation of Spot with vibration analysis Motion Amplification technology. This allows industrial customers to take next-generation vibration analysis right to the asset in even the most remote or hazardous environments. Click here to learn more.
Genera, a manufacturer of domestically sourced and produced ag-based pulp and molded fiber products, has promoted Sam Jackson, its former Vice President of Business Development, to the role of Chief Strategy Officer to manage the company’s supply chain, sustainability, and strategic planning activities. Jackson will oversee the expansion of the company’s supply chain organization, including its feedstock supply operations, manage corporate communications, and oversee stakeholder management. Additionally, he will manage and advance the company’s sustainability efforts in both feedstocks and manufacturing.
From Oak Ridge:
- ORAU, known by many as Oak Ridge Associated Universities, has been selected by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to continue to provide technical assistance services in support of the “Initiative to Support Promising Research” (INSPIRE) program. Under the three-year, $15 million contract, ORAU will provide technical assistance services to the CMS INSPIRE program, which assists in design and support of current research and development activities related to healthcare delivery and payment reform.
- United Cleanup Oak Ridge LLC (UCOR), the Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge Office of Environmental Management’s lead environmental cleanup contractor, has announced that Kent Fortenberry will become its Chief Operating Officer (COO) on April 1. The appointment will coincide with the retirement of current COO Tom Dieter on March 31.
The Cookeville-Putnam County Chamber of Commerce recognized Tennessee Tech University (TTU) in three ways at its annual meeting last week.
- TTU was named recipient of the Chamber’s annual “Economic Impact Award” for its $1.52 billion impact on the Volunteer State economy;
- The Chamber presented TTU Communications Coordinator Gina Padgett with its annual “Ambassador of the Year” award; and
- TTU President Phil Oldham assumed the role of Chair of the Board of Directors for 2023.
- Jumpstart Foundry is accepting applications through March 24 for start-ups developing products or services in healthcare information technology, diagnostic devices, consumer health, and technology-enabled services. More information about the terms and conditions, as well as the application itself, can be found here.
- DARVIS Inc., a start-up we first spotlighted in this June 2021 teknovation.biz article, has announced a new collaboration with University of Miami Health System (UHealth). Under the arrangement, the healthcare system will leverage DARVIS Inventory Autopilot solution to power its in-house supply chain operations for a new warehouse facility. DARVIS will install cutting-edge camera technology throughout the facility to help UHealth optimize resources, gather data, identify inefficiencies and access real-time tracking insight. DARVIS, which is the acronym for Data Analytic Real-World Visual Intelligence System, is a pioneer for hospital and distribution center logistics and digitalization through artificial intelligence technology.
- This is a list that you don’t want to see your city on unless you own a rental unit. In a report released Friday, Redfin, the national real estate brokerage firm, said that Nashville ranked #5 in the country in terms of year-over-year rent increase. The median asking price was $2,073, a 9.8 percent increase compared to January 2022.