From Johnson City:
Registration is underway for the next “iBUCS Student Venture Pitch Competition” at East Tennessee State University (ETSU). Students have until February 15 to apply for the event that will be held April 1. Up to $8,000 in cash awards will be made. More details can be found here.
- Pellissippi State Community College’s Business and Community Services division has brought home an international award for its lifelong learning course publication. The fall 2021 publication won an International Award for Excellence in Brochure Design from the Learning Resources Network, the world’s largest association in continuing education and lifelong learning that offers information and consulting expertise to providers of continuing education and customized training. Click here to learn more.
- WBIR-TV recently posted a feature on the work of Tony Schmitz, a Researcher for the University of Tennessee-Oak Ridge Innovation Institute, who studies machine tooling. Under a Department of Defense (DoD) project, he is working to better understand manufacturing and train skilled machinists. You can view the segment here.
The Nashville Business Journal reports that Meharry Medical College is launching a social determinants of health innovations challenge, open to diverse entrepreneurs and start-ups in Middle Tennessee. Selected applicants will receive a year-long residency in ResilienSeed, Meharry’s business incubator, and a package of services worth tens of thousands of dollars. Interested entrepreneurs and businesses have until tomorrow (November 30) to apply for the challenge at this link, which is being funded through a $750,000 grant from the U.S. Economic Development Administration.
From Around the Region:
Three events are on our schedule between now and the holiday break:
- The Tennessee Advanced Energy Business Council (TAEBC) will hold its annual “Opportunities in Energy” event from 12 noon to 2 p.m. EST on December 8. The agenda and registration details for the virtual event can be found here.
- The unveiling of the inaugural cohort of the Knoxville component of the “Veterans in Residence” program from Bunker Labs begins at 6 p.m. December 8 at the Knoxville Entrepreneur Center. Click here to register.
- The Tennessee Renewable Energy and Economic Development Council’s annual conference is December 9 and 10 at Tennessee Technological University in Cookeville. Registration details can be found here.