Friday’s weekly meeting of the East Tennessee Economic Council took on a new dimension when Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) used the hour to celebrate the 2014 winners of its “Small Business Impact Awards.”
Six companies – all from either Oak Ridge or Knoxville – were honored. This was the first time that the awards have been presented somewhere other than the ORNL campus.
“We wanted to do it here to give visibility to the companies,” according to Jeff Smith, ORNL Deputy Lab Director for Operations.
The winning companies and their award categories were:
- “Above and Beyond” – Machined Products Company, Inc. The category is designed to recognize a company that shows extraordinary effort to help ORNL save money, respond to an emergency, or engage in another outstanding act as a subcontractor to the lab.
- “Innovator Award” – Cadre5. The award recognizes a small business that has developed an outstanding idea, process, project management mechanism, or technology that was crucial to the success of an ORNL project.
- “Partnership Award” – Cornerstone Equipment and Supply, Inc., (small business) and Applied Industrial Technologies (large business). The award recognizes outstanding and successful partnering between large and small companies.
- “Rising Star Award” – KDK Consulting, Inc. The recognition goes to a company that is a fairly new subcontractor, but has shown outstanding performance.
- “Marketplace Award” – A&W Office Supply. The award is for “sustained, excellence performance within the ORNL Marketplace Catalogs system.”
In addition, ORNL recognized Brad Dunsmore, one of its Subcontract Administrators, with the “ORNL Small Business Advocate Award.”