Purdue University recently reported record growth with the highest numbers ever reported in a single year for patent applications, issued patents, technology disclosures, licensing deals and start-up creation.
According to this report, Indiana’s public research and land grant university reported a record 55 start-ups were established in West Lafayette. Of those, 22 originated from Purdue-licensed intellectual property and 33 from company-based entrepreneurs including Purdue students and alumni.
The latest fiscal year numbers resulted in more than 300 start-ups being created in the past eight years that have direct ties to Purdue, a statistic that contributed to the university’s ranking by the IPWatchdog Institute as third in the U.S. for start-up creation (see this recent teknovation.biz article).
Other notable data from the Purdue FY20 annual report includes:
- Technology disclosures – 408, compared with 360 last year;
- Signed licenses and options – 148, compared with 136 in FY19;
- Technologies licensed – 225, compared with 231 last year;
- Issued patents – 252, with 180 U.S. and 72 international compared to 141 and 68 respectively in FY19; and
- Total patent applications filed – 721, compared with 671 last year.