Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) has an innovative program focused on accelerating the commercialization of high potential technologies that have near-term impact. The initiative is called the “Technology Innovation Program,” and we have an upcoming two-part series describing the effort in more detail.
As part of its awareness process to make as many people as possible aware of the technologies, ORNL is holding six webinars between now and late September. The sessions will include overviews of these inventions and specific commercial opportunities approaching market readiness. Each webinar will include a roundtable session for Q&A and market feedback.
Space is limited, and registration is required.
The first session is next week – June 4. Here are the details provided by ORNL.
TECHNOLOGY OPPORTUNITIES IN ORNL INSTRUMENTATION, SENSORS AND DETECTORS
FEATURED TECHNOLOGY: SMART SMOKE DETECTOR
Since the early days of the Atomic Energy Commission, ORNL has been a leader in the development of advanced analytical instrumentation, sensors and detectors, with inventions including new microscopy technologies, mass spectrometer improvements, medical imaging systems and chemical detection systems. The new “Smart Smoke Detector” leverages ORNL’s multi-decade research program in high-sensitivity chemical detection systems to create an improved low-cost residential smoke detector that uses advanced algorithms to provide accelerated detection of household fires and a significant reduction in nuisance alarms. This performance advantage come with essentially no change in component costs, providing an inexpensive competitive differentiator for access to a growing ~$500M market residential smoke detector market and potential future access to the commercial fire protection system market.
- Mike Paulus, PhD, Director, Technology Transfer
- Bruce Warmack, PhD, Senior Staff Scientist, Electrical and Electronics Systems Research Division
Other topics and dates are:
- June 25 – Technology Opportunities in Manufacturing Systems Featured Technology: Derived High Performance Plastics.
- July 16 – Technology Opportunities in Energy, Utilities and Transportation Featured Technology: Cast Alumina Forming Austenitic Stainless Steels.
- August 6 – Technology Opportunities in Energy, Utilities and Transportation Featured Technology: Low- Cost Carbon Black Composite Anode for Lithium Ion Batteries.
- September 9 – Technology Opportunities in Information Technology, Security and Defense Portfolios: Interactive Visual Text Analytics for Situational Awareness of Social Media.
- September 24 – Technology Opportunities in Healthcare and Biology Portfolios Featured Technology: Microbial Electrolysis for Renewable Hydrogen Production