Lux Research, a leading provider of tech-enabled research and advisory services, has released its annual report on the technology innovations that are likely to have the greatest impact during the next 10 years. They are:
- 5G Networks:From robotic surgery to self-driving cars, 5G will be critical to advances in the Internet of Things. 5G has officially left the realm of research and entered reality, with more than 2,200 patents being filed this year.
- Shared Mobility:With more than $10 billion in funding every year for the past three years, shared mobility – like car-sharing services – is reinventing urban transportation.
- Advanced Plastic Recycling: Mission-critical for companies from CPGs to chemicals, China has invested in recycling technology in a big way, with 55 percent of all patents coming from that country.
- Solid-State Batteries: Incumbent Li-ion batteries are hitting a performance plateau, and with more than 500 patents filed last year, solid-state battery production is quickly becoming less theoretical.
- Protein Production: Next-generation protein, needed to feed a population of almost 10 billion, received five times the investment of the previous year, landing at more than $200 million.
The top five are part of Lux’s new “20 for 2020” report that identifies and ranks 20 technologies that will reshape the world, based on innovation interest scores from the Lux Intelligence Engine, along with input from our leading analysts.