About two dozen Tennesseans, including the author, will head for San Diego this week to participate in an event focused on better understanding how that city has grown its life science and healthcare clusters.
The event, which begins Thursday afternoon and runs through late morning on Friday, is a joint effort of Life Science Tennessee and the Nashville Health Care Council. Tennessee attendees include Charlie Brock, the newly named Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of LaunchTN; Sam Lynch, Founder and CEO of BioMimetic Therapeutics, who also is the new Chair of Life Science TN; and several attorneys from “Presenting Sponsor” Butler, Snow, O’Mara, Stevens &Cannada.
The program includes two sessions and a keynote speech on Thursday. On Friday, the delegation will have a morning presentation followed by their choice of a tour of one of three facilities.
The agenda follows.
Thursday Session I: The Convergence of Life Science Innovation and Health Care Delivery – A Macro Perspective
- Moderator: Lance Bridgesmith, Member, Butler, Snow, O’Mara, Stevens & Cannada
- Ed Jones, CEO and President, HealthTrust Purchasing Group
- Rick LeMoine, M.D., Chief Medical Information Officer, Sharp Healthcare
- Chris Woolley, Founder and Executive Vice President, Square 1 Bank
Thursday Session II: Life Science Innovation and Care Delivery – A Micro Perspective
- Moderator: Joe Panetta, CEO, BIOCOM
- Terry Gregg, President and CEO, DexCom
- Dennis Grimaud, CEO, Diatherix Laboratories
- Richard Neale, Corporate Vice President, Research Operations, Scripps Health; Chief Business Officer, Scripps Translational Science Institute
- Matt Pauls, Senior Vice President, Global Commercial Operations, Shire Regenerative Medicine
Thursday Keynote Dinner
- Speaker: Joseph Smith, M.D., Chief Medical and Science Officer, West Health
Friday Session I: San Diego Innovation Economy
- Speaker: Duane J. Roth, CEO, CONNECT
- Janssen Research and Development – As one of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies, Janssen Research and Development leverages their world-class discovery and development expertise, and operational excellence, to bring innovative, effective treatments in five therapeutic areas: cardiovascular and metabolism, immunology, infectious diseases and vaccines, neuroscience, and oncology.
- NuVasive – NuVasive® is a medical device company focused on developing minimally disruptive surgical products and procedures for the spine.
- West Health Institute – West Health Institute is an independent, non-profit 501(c)(3) medical research organization whose mission is to lower health care costs by developing innovative patient-centered solutions that deliver the right care at the right place at the right time.