Here’s an opportunity to spend a weekend creating your own film
ETSU, ActionVFX, and Wallace Theatre holding weekend-long "53 Film Fest" first weekend in March. Completed films will be screened on Sunday evening.
The Department of Media and Communication at East Tennessee State University is collaborating with Wallace Theatre and ActionVFX to host an “out-of-the-ordinary” film competition March 3-5.
The second annual “52 Film Fest” is a 52-hour film competition. Teams of filmmakers will have 52 hours to complete a short film. The teams will work on their films from 8 a.m. on Friday to 12 noon on Sunday. There will be two screenings for completed films on Sunday night at the Wallace Theatre, and an awards ceremony will follow the second screening.
The deadline to register to participate in the “52 Film Festival” is February 28. There is a $52 registration fee. All films that meet the competition criteria and are delivered on time will be eligible for competition prizes. Sponsors of the event include Dos Gatos, Crumb Bakeshop, and Spark Plaza.
The first screening of films is at 5 p.m. March 5 at the Wallace Theatre, 215 East Main Street. A second screening will take place later that evening, followed by the awards ceremony. Prizes include:
- $500 cash award for “Best in Show”;
- A “VFX Starter Pack 4K Edition” and “The Shootout Crate 4K Edition” from ActionVFX;
- A five-day co-working space and streaming lab pass from Create Appalachia;
- Free yearly membership to BrandStorytelling;
- $100 cash prize from Plan A Films;
- A package from Wallace Theatre;
- A day pass from Spark Plaza; and
- T-shirts and free film festival submission from Highlands Horrorfest.