The National Academy of Inventors and the Intellectual Property Owners Association have issued their annual report on the universities worldwide granted U.S. utility patents in 2021, and eight Southeastern Conference (SEC) institutions made the list with a future SEC member ranking #3 in the world.
Using data from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the report showed that the University of California System ranked #1 followed by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (#2) and soon-to-be-SEC member the University of Texas (#3). Other SEC schools ranked were:
- University of Florida (#13);
- Vanderbilt University (#44);
- University of South Carolina (#56);
- Texas A & M University (#68);
- University of Alabama (#78);
- University of Missouri (#84);
- University of Arkansas (#90); and
- Louisiana State University (#93).
The full report can be found here.