Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) will host the Southern Advanced Materials Research Exchange on May 31.
The day-long event is co-sponsored by ORNL and (SAMTA), an initiative of the Southern Growth Policies Board (SGPB). Registration is free, but pre-registration is required, and the deadline for non-foreign nationals is May 15. The required registration forms can be found at http://www.southerngrowth.com/forms/2012_SAMTA_ORNL_reg.html?utm_source=April+26%2C+2012&utm_campaign=Hot+Sheet&utm_medium=email.
“This event is important since nearly all the Southern states have advanced materials as a targeted industry,” said Scott Doron, Director of SGPB’s Southern Technology Council who coordinates the SAMTA program. “The Research Expo will jump start the efforts of universities, companies, and government to work together in advancing this industry, to increase the amount of research, and number of jobs in this area.”
ORNL is the logical place to host the meeting because of the lab’s long-time work in materials research and its recognition as the epicenter for low-cost, carbon fiber and composites work.
The sessions will focus on cutting-edge research in and applications of carbon fibers, composites, and light weight metals. Presenters will come from industry, Southern universities and ORNL. Attendees will also be able to tour ORNL’s Carbon Fiber Technology Facility (a low cost fiber pilot plant) or new Manufacturing Demonstration Facility (world-leading capabilities in manufacturing and materials research technologies).
The official program begins at 8 a.m. with welcomes from Ted Abernathy, SGPB Executive Director; Phil Paradice, Atlanta Regional Director for the U.S. Economic Development
Administration and Jim Roberto, ORNL’s Associate Laboratory Director for Science and Technology Partnerships.
Other morning sessions include:
- Industry Overview: Carbon Fibers and Composites – DJ Delong, AKSA Carbon Fibers
- Researcher Presentations – Cliff Eberle, ORNL; Virginia Davis, Auburn University; Satish Kumar, Georgia Tech; and Uday Vaidya, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Industry Panel, Carbon Fibers and Composites – Jayesh Doshi, eSpin Technologies; and DJ Delong
- Industry Overview: Light Weight Metals – Ron Radzilowski, Metallurgical Technology, Severstal NorthAmerica;
- Researcher Presentations – Ryan deHoff, ORNL; Laine Mears, Clemson; and Paul Wang, Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems.
- Industry Panel: Light Weight Metals – Jody Scollard, Chicago White Metal Casting, Inc.; Brian Brister, MS Polymer Institute; andRogerKing,MississippiState University
There’s an afternoon panel focused on answering the question, “What We Have Learned and the Way Forward.” Panelists are R. Steven Justice, Director, Georgia Center of Innovation for Aerospace; David R. Lohr, Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing; Phil Paradice; Tom Rogers, ORNL Director, Industrial and Economic Development Partnerships,
Afternoon tours wrap-up the meeting.