(EDITOR’S NOTE: Ten start-ups are participating in the third iteration of the autoXLR8R program run by Tech 2020. Ahead of the August 28 “Demo Day” in Oak Ridge, we are running brief profiles on the participants. This is one of those.)
- What is the name of your company and is there any particular significance of the name? The name of the company is The PT Solution, LLC. This name was chosen because The PT Solution represents the solution to a 60- year old problem: “Now that we have people in their automobiles, how do we get them out.”
- Other than yourself, are others involved as Co-Founders, owners or officers? If so, who are they? Just me, Cal Chamberlain.
- When did you first conceive of the idea for your new start-up? While commuting to work one day and just sitting in traffic, alone, along with hundreds of others, watching an empty HOV lane and almost empty MARTA buses and trains going by.
- Describe the product or service you plan to offer? The PT Solution will be offering a mobility choice: either keep driving your own automobile or accomplish the same mobility functions without the costs of ownership, maintenance, parking and insurance – all at a significant cost per mile savings.
- Why do you think the market is ready for this new product or offering? The PT Solution is all electric, has a very small infrastructure footprint, and offers the convenience of the automobile with nonstop trips at a significant cost savings.
- What motivated you to apply to participate in this year’s autoXLR8R? I was nominated to participate in autoXLR8R 2015, and I accepted.
- At this time, what are the two or three biggest challenges you face that you hope to overcome during the autoXLR8R accelerator? First, validate the business model chosen for The PT Solution. Second, identify the financial needs for this type of start-up. Third, meet and share The PT Solution with investors looking for new ideas whose time has arrived and make a compelling case for investment.
- Finally, tell us a little about yourself as a business executive, entrepreneur, researcher or whatever.My name is Cal Chamberlain. My 30-year corporate career focused on using new technologies in innovative ways, from the Apollo project to retiring as VP of R and D in the textile industry.