Shillum offers 11 ideas for more successful product marketing
Marc Shillum, Senior Director of Global Brand Creative at eBay, left attendees at last week’s “SHYFT Design + Innovation Conference” with 11 thoughts on successful product marketing strategies going forward. Here they are:
- Talk about the problem, not the product. It helps the customer justify the purchase.
- Define the vocabulary of the experience, not the slogan.
- Tell the story of the interface, ideally with a product demonstration.
- Create an understandable cadence, something predictable like the routine of product and software launches from Apple.
- Ask for help to achieve the product aspiration.
- Market small bursts . . . work fast.
- Exist in interactive media such as Kickstarter where you get feedback on the product.
- Componentize the product, maybe by creating modules that can be combined in various ways to create new versions.
- Correlate marketing and technology roadmaps.
- Reorganize the business to put brand and product together.
- Create shared key performance indicators.