Speight on “Geeks on a Plane” East Asia Tour, lands new EIR role
We recently heard from Doug Speight, a former Knoxville resident and Oak Ridge National Laboratory employee, who left on Sunday as part of the invitation only “Geeks on a Plane” East Asia Tour.
Speight told us the event, organized by the 500 Startups organization, is for start-up entrepreneurs, investors, and executives to learn about high-growth technology markets worldwide.
“We travel by planes, trains, and automobiles to the most exciting international start-up scenes with the sole mission of uniting geeks and exploring cross-border opportunities,” he said. “The result: a life-long bond with fellow travelers, a wealth of new friends and business contacts in exploding technology markets, and a stronger appreciation for the cultural and economic ties that bind us globally.”
The tour shows these stops:
- April 5 – 7: HANGZHOU, CHINA / Visit Alibaba, Hangzhou Future Sci-Tech City, West Lake.
- April 7 – 8: HONG KONG, CHINA / Victoria Peaks, dinner & drinks w/ top-tier venture capitalists.
- April 8 – 11: SHENZHEN, CHINA / Big Salad Startup Roadshow, IoT companies.
- April 11 – 14: TAIPEI, TAIWAN / Taiwan Startup Stadium (TSS) Event, GOGORO HQ, Hardware Startups global challenge & mixer.
- April 14 – 16: TOKYO, JAPAN / Tokyo Tower, EGG Japan, DMM.Make, local fish markets.
- April 17 – ??: SINGAPORE (Unofficial Stop) / Get lost in the city with Dave McClure
Separately, Speight was also recently named an Entrepreneur-in-Residence at CODE2040, a non-profit organization that creates pathways to educational, professional, and entrepreneurial success in technology for underrepresented minorities with a specific focus on Blacks and Latinos.