AUTOXLR8R #3: Patco Sleep Solutions
(EDITOR’S NOTE: Ten start-ups are participating in the third iteration of the autoXLR8R program run by Tech 2020. Ahead of the August 28 “Demo Day” in Oak Ridge, we are running brief profiles on the participants. This is one of those.)
- What is the name of your company and is there any particular significance of the name? The name of the company is Patco Sleep Solutions. It is a way to incorporate the family name Patterson into the company name. For this particular product, we will probably be DBA Sleep on Trucking.
- Other than yourself, are others involved as Co-Founders, owners or officers? If so, who are they? The founders of the company are Buddy Patterson and Anthony Patterson. Danny White is the representative at autoXLR8R.
- When did you first conceive of the idea for your new start-up? Three years ago.
- Describe the product or service you plan to offer? The initial product is a manually operated self-leveling air mattress that will fit underneath the main mattress in the sleeper cab of an 18-wheeler truck. The design will be modified to accommodate RVs, campers and travel trailers. The idea, especially for truck drivers, is to offer a better and more restful night’s sleep. As we know, a well-rested driver is a safer driver. So the benefits are many. A well-rested driver will be more alert and efficient and involved in fewer accidents. This is also a benefit for those of us who share the roads with the 18 wheelers.
- Why do you think the market is ready for this new product or offering? The research we have done so far indicates there isn’t another product like it on the market at this time. And with the rules and regulations regarding the hours that a driver must spend stopped, it only makes sense to spend that down time as comfortable as possible.
- What motivated you to apply to participate in this year’s autoXLR8R? The product has been in the planning stage for about three years now, and it’s time to go forward with the idea.
- At this time, what are the two or three biggest challenges you face that you hope to overcome during the autoXLR8R accelerator? To find resources and the means to assemble a working prototype, and to see if there is a market for the product.
- Finally, tell us a little about yourself as a business executive, entrepreneur, researcher or whatever. I (Anthony Patterson) have been self-employed for the better part of my life, so I have the discipline to stick with something and I believe this product will see my dream come true.